Borrower Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

What is considered a "hardship"?
A hardship is a change in circumstances that affects your ability to satisfy your financial obligations.

Do I have to be delinquent to be considered for assistance?
NO. Subject to qualification, Union Bank & Trust has options available for customers who are experiencing a hardship but have managed to keep their mortgage payments current. Please contact the Mortgage Assistance Center (MAC) immediately at 844-661-0093 to see if you qualify for assistance.

I have lost my job or my hours have been reduced, what should I do?
Depending on your financial ability you may qualify for different assistance options, but you will need to call and discuss your specific situation with a MAC specialist. We offer solutions based on financial ability. Call us at 844-661-0093.

How do I apply for assistance?
There are numerous avenues to request assistance from MAC. Call Union Bank & Trust’s MAC at 844-661-0093, email at or send a fax to 804-482-2983.

What documents are required to be reviewed for assistance with my mortgage?
Various information may be required for different types of situations. For example, if you wish to retain your home you will be required to complete a Customer Hardship Assistance Package outlining monthly income and expenses, an IRS Form 4605-T and a hardship statement and to provide all current proof of income. If you want to sell your home, as part of the review process we will require the same documentation listed above as well as bank statements, your sales contract, all applicable affidavits and proof of funds from buyer and closing disclosures. There may be additional documentation that your MAC specialist requires in order to fully review your situation.

Is there a charge to request assistance?
Union Bank & Trust does not charge an application fee or handling fee for requesting assistance. However, as part of the qualification process, Union Bank & Trust may order credit reports and an appraisal. If fees are incurred in processing your application, the fees will be passed on to you for payment.

If I can't make my mortgage payments, how long do I have to act?
If you are not able to make your mortgage payments, you should contact us immediately. Your credit may be affected if you continue to be past due and you could risk foreclosure.

What type of assistance do I qualify for?
Qualification for assistance is determined upon the review of your specific circumstances and will be based on how your hardship impacts, your personal financial ability, and whether you intend to retain or sell your property.

What programs do you offer?
The assistance that Union Bank & Trust offers our customers consists of loan modifications, forbearance and short sales.

What is the difference between a modification and a refinance?
A modification may make payments more manageable or affordable by changing or modifying the existing mortgage. A refinance is a new loan which pays off your existing mortgage. Refinances are not handled by MAC.

How do I apply for a mortgage modification?
Please call us at 844-661-0093 to discuss how to apply for a mortgage modification.

I have fallen behind on payments, but can now afford them. What can I do about the payments I am behind on?
We offer solutions that may extend, modify or adjust your mortgage payments. We strongly encourage you to call Union Bank & Trust’s MAC so we can discuss which option may best suit your situation. Call us at 844-661-0093.

What is foreclosure?
A foreclosure is the legal proceedings initiated by a lender to seize the collateral for a mortgage that is in default.

What if I am already facing foreclosure?
Time is of the essence. You need to talk with us immediately to see if there are any assistance options for which you may qualify. Don’t delay. In limited situations, we may be able to provide assistance even after a foreclosure has been initiated.

I have an offer on my home but it is less than I owe. What can I do?
Please call a MAC specialist at 844-661-0093 to discuss whether there are any assistance options for which you may qualify.

Will a Third Party acting on my behalf be able to get me a better modification than I could get?
Union Bank & Trust qualifies borrowers based on affordability. If you retain a third party, that is your choice but no third party will be able to negotiate better terms than you could get on your own behalf, and often they will charge you for handling the process. Please contact us at 844-661-0093 to discuss. Additionally, the Federal government provides contact information for housing counselors, which you can access by contacting the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at, the Department of Housing and Urban Development at or by calling 800.569-4287.

Union Mortgage Group
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 940
Ruther Glen, VA 22546